A simple online search on health is enough to drive anyone insane. There is an abundance of information and opinions out there. Do this, do that, don’t do this, don’t do that. So many studies contradict each other and you sometimes are left not knowing what to do.
What is a healthy lifestyle?
If there’s one way of knowing the truth it is the telltale signs you’ll get from your body when you are doing or not doing something you should. Your body will give you signals when it is not happy with the lifestyle that you are living. If you’re generally healthy, your body won’t scream at you initially and the signals where attention is needed might be easily ignored. However, there are some signals to keep a lookout for:
- feeling sluggish or off
- waking up tired
- digestive issues
- frequently struggling with colds
- difficulty to concentrate
- feeling anxious or depressed frequently
Generally, a healthy lifestyle involves maintaining a nutritious diet, exercising regularly, getting enough rest, and taking time to relax and destress. It is also important to maintain positive relationships with family and friends, be involved in meaningful activities, and find ways to stay mentally and emotionally healthy.
This being said we need to remember that what’s healthy for you, may not necessarily be healthy for me. Leading a healthy lifestyle is a journey of discovering what works for your body. Your journey will be different from that of the person next to you. For one person it could mean cutting out refined carbs and joining a cycling club. For someone else it could simply be getting more quality sleep, cutting out alcohol during the week, or following the keto diet. Neither of these decisions is better than the other, as long as you don’t give up on figuring it out for yourself.
Why should you choose the ketogenic lifestyle?
In our very first blog article, we shared all you need to know about the ketogenic lifestyle. Here’s a quick summary of why you may want to try it. There is tons of research backing the benefits of the ketogenic lifestyle, which is why so many people today still are following this lifestyle. The keto lifestyle is a great choice for anyone looking to improve their overall health and well-being. It has been proven to:
- help with weight loss
- improve energy levels
- stabilize blood sugar levels
- improve mental clarity, and
- increase overall health and longevity
Furthermore, following a ketogenic lifestyle has been found to reduce inflammation, improve cholesterol levels, and reduce the risk of developing many chronic diseases. Finally, the ketogenic lifestyle is a sustainable, enjoyable, and delicious way to eat that can be tailored to fit individual preferences and dietary needs.
The ketogenic diet is so much more than just a weight loss programme or a fad diet. It is a lifestyle change with benefits far outweighing simply looking good in your costume. For an in-depth look at the health benefits have a look at this primer on the health benefits of the ketogenic diet.
Where do I start with a ketogenic diet?The best advice we can give you is to take it slow and start one step at a time. Listen to your body and do what is manageable for you. Here are some steps to follow when you start your keto journey:
- Start with delicious food - look at the list of foods that you should include in your keto diet and choose the ones you like the most first. Even if it means that in the beginning you only eat 5 different foods, that’s ok. Remember, start small and keep it simple.
- Empower yourself with information - read up about the lifestyle and empower yourself with information about your new lifestyle. Keto-Mojo.com is a great place to start. It is a great resource center for anyone who wants to lead a ketogenic lifestyle.
- Test and track your progress - testing and tracking your progress is the best way both to motivate yourself and also to know exactly how your new lifestyle is affecting your body.
- Add in some movement - once you feel more comfortable with your food choices, add in some movement that you enjoy, walking, cycling, swimming, or dancing. As long as you are moving, you are still better off than the person on the couch.
- Experiment with recipes - play with some recipes. There are many online that you can experiment with. Add these to your family meal plan, you’ll be surprised how much they’ll love it.
- Dig a little deeper - once you get the hang of it you can add some supplementation or look into further improvements and tricks to go a little deeper into ketosis.
- Keep it up and remember you are not alone on your keto journey - when you join the ketogenic lifestyle there are many others on the journey with you. Check out the different groups and communities on social media. You can reach out to us and when you buy a Keto-Mojo blood ketone meter, you get access to the MyMojoHealth App to help you on your journey - for free!
Hang in there, you can do this. Get up when you fall. Reach out when it gets tough. The benefits are more than worth it.