Summer days call for a light and healthy tart with a fresh green salad. This delicious recipe, developed by l Kim Forbes (@kimketo365) is made with a low-carb almond flour and flax meal crust, and a tasty combination of pumpkin, feta, spinach, and cranberry as the filling. It is vegetarian and a great light lunch or dinner for those following a ketogenic diet.
1 cup almond flour
1/3 cup flax meal
1 tbsp psyllium husk powder
Pinch of salt
¼ cup butter softened
3 tbsp water
400g chopped pumpkin
3 tbsp olive oil
1 medium red onion
2 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground coriander
Zest of ½ a lemon
1 cup cranberries
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
100g spinach chopped
1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
1 tbsp coconut aminos
¾ cup crumbled feta cheese
4 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 175C.
- Mix all your dry crust ingredients. Cut the butter into small squares and combine it with your dry ingredients by rubbing it in with your fingertips. Add water and knead until it is combined.
- Place the dough in plastic wrap, flatten it and refrigerate for an hour.
- Remove from the fridge and roll the dough out to the size of your pie pan. Place the dough in the pie pan and press it down.
- Place baking paper onto the dough. Use ceramic baking beans to weigh down your dough and bake for 18 to 20 minutes.
- When done remove from the oven and remove the beans and baking paper.
- Place your chopped pumpkin on a baking tray and sprinkle it with 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp ground coriander, and a pinch of salt.
- Roast for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Peel, and dice the onion.
- Place cranberries, 1 tbsp olive oil, and the balsamic vinegar in a saucepan and cook until softened.
- Heat the last tbsp of olive oil in a pan and gently fry the onion and garlic until soft. Add spinach, coconut aminos, and the remaining paprika and fry until spinach is wilted.
- Place spinach mix, pumpkin, cranberries, and feta in your pie crust.
- Whisk eggs, coriander, and lemon zest together and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour eggs over your pie crust and bake for 20 minutes until set.
Enjoy with a fresh green salad.